Tuesday, August 15, 2006

THIS LITTLE PIGGY...

"Mama, when is Mema coming to see us?" Saia asks on the way to school this morning.

"Well, baby, we're working on October 21st."

"Okay," she says and turns to Chago. "On Oxtover 21st, Mema will be here."

"Okay," he says, fiddling with his ballcap.

"Mama?" she asks again.

"Yes, Saia?"

"What is that thing that I had on my toe that Mommy took out?"

"Ummm...an ingrown toenail?"

"YES!" she says excitedly. "That's right!!" as she turns back to Chago. "Remember Mema has imgrow toenails...just like me?!"

"Mm-hm," says Chago, straightening his cap on his head.

"Mema has funny feet, doesn't she, Chago?" she giggles.

"Yes, Saia," he mutters in his best I-could-not-be-any-less-interested-than-if-I-was-watching-paint-dry voice. "She does."

But she doesn't even notice. She's just smiling ear to ear at the thought of comparing her scruffy little toes with her Mema's again.

No comments: