Friday, October 23, 2009

EVIDENTLY, NOT SO WILD, AND NOT SUCH A RUMPUS -- AND THIS BEING A REALLY REALLY GOOD THING

Fully expected to be disappointed.

I mean, come on, it's a classic. A dramatic children's classic, at that. And one that Jim Carrey can't improv. No way. No how. It's just gonna HAVE to suck.

And it did have those moments when I thought, eh...coulda been better there. And...yikes! that was waaaay freaking scary for little ones.

But for the most part, being the huge sucker for teachable moments that I am, it got a big ol' gold star from Mama. From the lessons on sibling rivalry, on standing up for yourself, standing up for others, loneliness, sorrow, anger, pain, resentment, forgiveness, friendship, compassion, dignity, pride, character, and, of course, love, it just covered all the bases.

And as we're driving home discussing the movie and over-analyzing every teensy weensy little detail as we're so often wont to do (and by we, I mean, of course, me -- and Sonia -- or my mother -- whenever they come visit), and I see the light above the kids' heads go on when they finally understand that the monsters represent the emotions within Max that he couldn't or wouldn't deal with, we cross over into what I'm a tad nervous has the potential for being a pretty emotional discussion as I try to draw the similarities between their lives, particularly with regards to our family splitting up, and how that can cause all sorts of emotions to come to the surface unexpectedly, and cause so many other things to be buried, and...

"But Mama?" Saia interjects from the backseat.

And I hold my breath, glancing at Amy out of the corner of my eye, waiting for where this might go, and trying to form the argument in my head that's going to give her the comfort she needs, provide her with the support and security and strength to get through this transition...

And then she says, looking from Amy back to me, and then over at Chago in the seat right next to her...

"When did we split up?"

1 comment:

sonia said...

I almost spit my Diet Coke out in laughter, and then immediately welled up in pride (in all you guys) and hopefulness (for us all). Thanks for sharing Saia's sum up. I've heard people worry that the movie didn't have enough moral-of-the-storiness, but I'd say it did just fine. (Though I did think Max should've said "I'm sorry" to his mother with his words, not just his eyes. C'mon -- that's just good manners.)