Friday, May 27, 2011

AM I THE ONLY ONE COMPLETELY UNINSPIRED BY "SPIRIT WEEK"???

So, here we go again. The most annoying week of the year. Next to Teacher Appreciation Week, of course.

And let me just be very clear, before you go off on me, that that's not because I don't think teachers in general should be infinitely more appreciated, because, oh my God, talk about the most undervalued, overworked, grotesquely underpaid, most influential, and yet least revered job in America.

BUT because it's one of those forced acknowledgement things, I just abhor it. It's right up there with what  Mother's Day is becoming for me.  I mean, what about the other 364 days of the year that I'm a mother? Don't we deserve any acknowledgement or appreciation then? I know I'd like a random breakfast in bed in, I don't know, November, just because it's chilly.  Soooooo...when my kids' teachers are awesome, we do everything we can to make sure they know it.  Little things here and there, extra volunteering time, pushing the kids just a little harder to be leaders and help their teachers out.

Disney Day
But if they don't, and when they're not, and Lord knows there are those handful that really just have no business in this line of work -- at all -- ever, then I just don't feel that we should be guilted or coerced into reveling in their mediocrity, at best, or celebrating their incompetence, at worst.  Anymore than I would allow my children to be satisfied with their own.  That's just not okay with me.  And it's not a lesson I ever want our children to learn.

But that's not what this post is about, so let's just get to the goofy pictures, right?  So, okay, besides the additional annoyances of having to get everyone up extra early so we could get dressed and do hair, my two favorite days of the week were, not surprisingly, 80s Day, and, thoroughly shocking, Disney Day.

Full view of 80s Day Attire
For Disney Day, though, the monsters opted out of the traditional and lazy don-a-Disney-Store-t-shirt concept (which we don't own anyway). Instead, he dressed up as Mickey in the Sorcerer's Apprentice from Fantasia (he made his own costume personally).  Saia, who was not about to dress up as yet another Disney princess, decided to go with Mother Gothel from Tangled, and spent the whole morning singing my favorite song from that movie, "Mother Knows Best." :)

About 80s Day, they first asked if I was ALIVE WAY BACK THEN?!?!?  And then, once I'd recovered from that mild aneurysm and had them all decked out and shiny, they managed to easily bring me to complete tears of joy when they both said that they wanted to dress like this every day from now on. :)

It was a totally rad moment, dude. Like, fer sure.
...

No comments: