Tuesday, May 17, 2011

WHO'S IN LOVE WITH ABBOTT AND COSTELLO? NO, HE'S ON FIRST BASE!

Watching the "Who's on first?" skit

I don't know how, exactly, we got onto the conversation. I overheard Santiago saying something punny (which in itself is not unusual), but something about it reminded me of the scene from Airplane! (yes, don't judge) where the tower is speaking to Captain Oveur and Roger Murdock, and everyone keeps saying "over" and "roger" and both men keep responding, "Huh?"

Yeah, you know it. Cracks me up just thinking about it!

So, I described the scene to Santiago, and he was, literally, curled up into a ball on the floor laughing within seconds.  Just hysterical over it.  Which, of course, sent Saia into fits of laughter.  Which then meant that I really had no choice but to laugh, too. That sort of thing being contagious and all. :D

Realizing, though, that they were obviously ripe for *exactly* my type of humor, I immediately launched into the story of Abbott and Costello and the "Who's on first?" skit.  I did a terrifically horrible job of explaining it.  If you know me at all, you know how very much I suck at retelling jokes. If I'm lucky, I'll maybe remember a part of the punchline, usually not the important part.  And more often than not, I get stuck right before it's supposed to get good.

So never was I more excited to have the internet at my fingertips than when I found EXACTLY what I was looking for on YouTube in two point five seconds.  Watching the performance within seconds of talking about it was the most anachronistic moment I've had since teaching my Grandma how to redeem her online gift card at JC Penneys.

But here it is, in all it's glory.  And it really doesn't matter how many times you watch it, you're gonna laugh every single time. :)



Okay, so, because these are my little seedlings, they became, of course, obsessed. Absolutely O-B-S-E-S-S-E-D!!!

"Play it again, Mama!" he said.

[More belly laughs.]

"Again, Mama, again!" she begs.

[More splitting our sides.]

And at least 4 more times before I even started making dinner.

Then while I was busy with their chalupas, they decided to try it themselves.  Santiago, the great improviser, who thinks absolutely everything can be improved upon if he just puts his stamp on it, decided to take a little liberty with it and make some adjustments.  And this was just his first, totally unrehearsed dry run.

(gave up messing with the orientation on this one)

And because I very often obsess about latching onto things they love, while they were eating dinner, I found and printed out the script, one for each of them, stapled, and with their lines highlighted...in different colors.

Oh, yes. I did.

And, of course, they squealed with delight!

At bedtime, they began officially rehearsing, as they've since decided they'll be performing it for the school talent show.

[Oh, Lord, help us. What have I done???]
...

No comments: