Monday, April 26, 2010

THE GRILLED ASPARAGUS YOU DON'T HAVE TO TRICK YOUR KIDS INTO EATING

I have soared to new veggie heights today, people! My kids ate asparagus. Whole. Right off the grill. And I didn't have to disguise them with sauces, or painstakingly shove them into penne pasta, or puree them into an unidentifiable soup, or anything of the sort.

We bought 3 pounds at the farmer's market on Saturday, worried that, as usual, I bought more than we'd consume. Rinsed and snipped the ends, dropped them into a large ziploc baggie, and poured in some cilantro/basil infused olive oil (which really just means, I tore off a couple of leaves of each and shoved them into the drip bottle for about a week), then I plopped in two tablespoons of minced garlic, some fresh ground kosher salt, and a little fresh ground black pepper.

And that was it.

Amy refuses to tell me exactly how long she put them on the grill for, or exactly where the magical location on the grill actually was, but they were BEYOND PHENOMENAL!

And between the 4 of us, all three pounds were gone within a half hour.

Color me green and happy!!

[Let the inevitable urinary commentary begin.]
...

No comments: