Friday, March 10, 2006

I SEE CLOWN PEOPLE

So, we're sitting in bed this morning, and the kids are having their warm milk while we're talking about how everyone slept and if anyone had any dreams.

"Mama," says Santiago in a very solemn tone, "there was a hand in my bed."

[okay, did you just get chills, too?]

"A hand?" I ask. "What kind of a hand?"

"A big hand that touched me," he continues.

[Yes, oh hell yes, am I totally freaked out by now.]

"Did the hand hurt you?" I ask, trying to remain calm.

"No," he says, "it just touched me and then left."

"WHERE did it touch you, bubba?" I ask cautiously.

"Right here on my arm," he says pointing to his forearm, which I proceed to examine for any signs of alien abduction or demonic possession. Not finding anything at all out of the ordinary, I ask, "Do you know who the hand belonged to?"

"The big clown animal," he says as he returns to his milk.

[Holy sh**!!! Breathe...breathe...]

"Is it mean or nice?" I continue to probe unsteadily as my heart begins to race.

"Mean," he says, furrowing his brow. "It scared me and that's why I came to your bed this morning."

"But you said it went away, didn't you?"

"Yes, when Mommy went into my room and went boogada-boogada, shoo-shoo-shoo [our tried and true method for frightening away all things scary], it went back into the hole."

[the HOLE?!?!? pause...breathe...deep breath...count to three...]

"Oh? And what hole is that, son?" I ask, unsuccessfully feigning nonchalance.

"The hole under the rug," they BOTH say in unison. [NOW are you freaked out!?!?!]

Okay then -- so the exorcism is planned for 7pm this evening -- please feel free to join us -- I'll be the one flipping out in the corner watching my son's head spin around in circles!!!

No comments: