Wednesday, April 12, 2006

TAKING IS NOT NICE

Saia in Carmel CA
"So, what do you think, kids?" I ask on the torrential drive home yesterday afternoon. "Shall we stay on the highway or exit?"

"STAY ON HIGHWAY!" they yell, knowing this means we end up going through town and usually (on sunny days) they get to have their windows rolled down.

"Alright," I say, "I'll take your advice and let's just keep our fingers crossed that traffic is better on the highway."

"Mama?" asks Saia with a note of concern.

"Yes, baby?"

"I can still talk, though," she says, sounding a little confused.

"Sure you can talk, babe. What do you mean?"

"Well, you took my voice, so why can I still talk?"

"Oh, no baby," I explain, "I took your advice, not your voice, honey."

"Oh, okay, because Ursula took Ariel's voice and I don't want you to take my voice, too."

"No, Saia, Mama couldn't take your voice even if she wanted to." [and trust me, on more than one occasion, I've wished for a magic lamp]

"Well...but..." she continues, "taking is not nice, Mama, so you should 'pologize to me."

"Well..." I begin, "you gave me your advice, so I only took what you were already offering, so then that's okay. Do you understand?"

"Yes, but don't take my voice, okay?"

"Okay, babe."

1 comment:

Sonya said...

BAHAHAHAHA

Awesome story!